28 June 2013

Des Amuse-Gueules D'Henri (Appetizers of Henri)

For some reason, I have this craving for anything Francois for the past few weeks.  So a few days back, I went to Henri for a light dinner... I chose to have just appetizers instead of going for a main course.

If you choose this place, prepare your wallets... it's fine dining, so the dishes are a bit pricier than normal.

The appetizers looked all so fancy, especially on how they're plated.  Servings are a bit small, so if you want to feast, don't be shy on doubling and tripling your orders --- or better yet, order 2 or 3 appetizers, just like what I did.

My favorite among the appetizers I sampled was the Escargot Bourgogne.  The herbs that went with the dish are refreshing... and their own garlic hollandaise gave the perfect flavor.



The next one I tried is the Foie Gras.  This is probably the most expensive appetizer -- even pricier than some of the main courses.  The foie gras itself is good... but I wasn't a big fan of the burnt peach panna cotta that went with it -- the flavor and the texture of the panna cotta didn't really compliment the foie gras.


Another appetizer I tried is the Diver Scallops.  It tastes just OK -- the scallops were pan seared and served with threads of almond crackers.  I find the dish a bit dry, though.

And finally, dessert.  I'm a big fan of their Creme Brulee!  The berries that went with the dessert complimented the Tahitian Vanilla flavor of the cream.  Make room for this.


Ambiance wise, it's not really one of the best, but it is good.  Fancy chairs and chandeliers... and dimmed lights (dim lights always oomph restaurant ambiance) and actually I got the best table when I dined there...  I prefer the tables by the window.  Oh by the way, during the latter part of the evening, it becomes a bit noisy here.

Service wise, I can't complain about anything.   The waiters are very attentive and knowledgeable of their menu.  When they serve the dishes, they would almost enumerate to you all ingredients in what you ordered. They actually even have a check-in for your bulky stuffs like your laptop and shopping bags.

I'm giving this place 4 stars.

Website:  http://www.henrichicago.com/
Address: 18 South Michigan Avenue Chicago, IL 60603
Tel. No: 312.578.0763

No comments:

Post a Comment